Wednesday 15 September 2021

Bring Your Own Towel - Ecological Goals of a Beauty Salon!

 



Two years ago a lovely client suggested I ask my clients to bring their own towel for the waxing treatment - they pointed out the strong ecological case for this change so I was delighted to take this on board.

 

Although it made sense in many logical ways I was still hesitant because I was not aware of any other salons with the Bring Your Own Towel policy.

 

After further feedback from regular clients on the proposed BYOT it was clear my client had come up with a very popular change of salon procedure  and not only did my clients think it  was a great idea it also helped involve clients in the eco goals  at The Wax Factor

 

At the start many clients did forget to BYOT but my clients are super busy and this was a change that would take a little time 😛

 

So in January 2020 I started to heavily publicise this new way forward and future reward and incentives for clients to join in - all was going very well til Covid 19 appeared three months later and halted these plans.

 

When we reopened from subsequent lockdowns I reiterated the BYOT messaging which in a non planned way also played well in this new Covid era - aka used towels went back home with client eliminating risk to other clients and myself and family when washing and drying after body contact. I do believe in a roundabout way this helped mitigate a risk factor to clients, their families and myself  clients so keeping everyone safe.

 

Today I am delighted to say 80% of my clients take part in BYOT and as long as we stay lockdown free we will have incentives for clients in Christmas 2021 who have taken part as a reward for making this small business achieve it's eco goals and as 95% of my treatments require BYOT I believe even a small one person business like mine can make a difference each time a client participates.

 

As we get nearer to #COP26 (26th UN Climate Change Conference being hosted late October/ November in Glasgow) I am super proud my salon for the last 12 years has been as eco as possible and will be sharing our other eco changes and procedures in the salon on our Instagram and Facebook stories each day from tomorrow so please check them out 😊 As we chat so much in the salon about Covid I have never had a chance to explain what's in the room and the eco story behind it 😊

 

We are as an industry due to the nature of our role generators of waste for hygiene purposes but will also be sharing my practices with you that have ensured only necessary waste is generated so we are as environmentally considerate as possible

 

Isabel x

No comments:

Post a Comment